When investing in your next commercial property, it is essential to distinguish the differences between multifamily and single-family properties. Our property experts at SRC Land have included several key details, pros, and cons you should consider!
Multifamily properties are residential properties that offer more than one housing unit, which usually includes but are limited to apartment complexes, duplexes, or townhomes. A few pros and cons to consider when investing in multifamily commercial properties are:
- Tax benefits – Multifamily properties offer many tax benefits to investors due to the ability to depreciate the property and offset their rental income.
- More cash flow – Multifamily properties allow for multiple streams of monthly income! Owners can also choose to live in one unit while renting out the units of their property to tenants.
- Control over its value – The more income your multifamily property receives, the higher you may place its significance.
- High number of tenants – Allowing for more tenants in a multifamily property will help offset any losses due to vacancies.
- Property management – Multifamily properties generate enough to hire property management to help you handle any day-to-day operational tasks, services, and maintenance needed.
- Blanket policies – You can find more options for the right blanket insurance policy plan for your property.
- More challenging to sell – Your multifamily property may end up sitting in the market much longer than other types of properties when trying to sell.
- More responsibility – Owning a multifamily property is a significant commitment that requires you to screen tenants, help sign multiple leases, and more. Be sure you are ready to commit to these responsibilities and consider hiring a property management company to help you out!
Single-family properties are single-standing residential buildings with unshared walls, one owner, and on their land. Single-family properties include most residential homes and typically house one family.
A few pros and cons to consider when investing in single-family properties are:
- Affordable – Overall, single-family properties tend to be cheaper than multifamily properties, including additional costs, such as maintenance and down payments. Lower interest rates and higher loan-to-value ratios make single-family homes easier to finance than multifamily properties. They are best for investors on a budget.
- Space and privacy – Single-family homes offer much more space and privacy, with higher square footage than other properties, and separation space between neighbors. Many single-family homes also offer private yards.
- Higher appreciation – If a single-family home is well maintained, there is usually a higher demand for these types of properties than multifamily properties. Selling a house will be much easier to do in the long run.
- Easy to manage – Single-family homes will help save you money on maintenance and property management costs due to fewer tenants. There are more minor maintenance needs with single-family properties than multifamily properties.
- Hard to scale – It takes a lot more work to scale single-family properties. You will need to consider multiple mortgage applications and closings at a time!
- Rental income – You may expect less cash flow than multifamily properties due to a lower number of tenants and monthly payments generated.
- Expensive vacancies – Vacancies will cost you much more with single-family homes than multifamily properties, affecting your overall business income, mortgages, and more.
Having a thorough understanding of your property investments is key to ultimate success! Reach out to our property experts at SRC Land today to learn more! via @SRCLand
#PropertyExperts #MultifamilyProperties #SingleFamilyProperties
Take Advantage of Our Seller Financed Properties!
Both multifamily and single-family properties offer advantages to consider when investing.
If you are considering investing in commercial properties but lack the means to do so, our property experts at SRC Land make it easy through our seller financing opportunities!
Let SRC Land help you bring your entrepreneurial dreams into reality by investing in commercial properties for sale in Harlingen!