Buying land in a hurricane zone can be a bit complicated if you’re planning to build on the property. But with the right plan in place, purchasing such a property can be the best investment you can make.
At SRC Land, we not only want to help you through the entire process of choosing the right property, but we also want to make sure you can properly protect your investment from hurricanes and other severe storms.
Hurricane season is expected to last this year from June 1st to November 30th. To be prepared, there are four things individuals buying land in a hurricane zone should know:
1. Be mindful of hurricane tendrils: The tendrils emanating from a hurricane can be just as dangerous as its center. A storm hitting the Texas Gulf Coast can have tendrils that stretch in Central Texas, causing tornadoes and flooding.
2. Flooding: While hurricanes devastate coasts with wind, severe rain can cause irreparable damage inland, especially to properties near rivers and creeks.
3. Hurricane’s direction: The direction a hurricane is traveling can provide some insights into the amount of damage it makes. A hurricane’s right quadrant has the strongest winds, which can tell you where the most damage will be.
4. Up to 10 hurricanes in Texas: Through 2020’s hurricane season, a total of four hurricanes hit near the RGV. However, an average season produces 14 storms, including seven hurricanes.
How To Prepare
The lion’s share of damage from a hurricane comes from strong winds and flooding. Preparing for these dangers is key. Insurance and safety precautions are some things you can do better protect yourself and your investment:
l. Insurance is key
It is of utmost importance to have property insurance when building in a hurricane zone, and don’t settle for the first company you come across. Shop around to compare prices and to determine which provider offers the best coverage at the most reasonable price.
Another common mistake that can have truly serious consequences is thinking that their insurance will cover flooding. The most basic insurance DOES NOT cover flooding and will typically require you to purchase additional add-ons to your policy.
ll. Read the small print
Depending on your land’s location and risk level, your insurance premium might be more expensive. On top of that, make sure to get more than just general insurance.
With hurricanes being a risk in South and Coastal Texas, you will require storm protection, flood insurance, and other types of insurance coverage. It is important to note that flood insurance policies have a 30-day waiting period before coverage takes effect. So make sure to purchase this insurance in a timely manner.
The Safety Measures You Need In Place
There is no “overdoing it” when it comes to protecting your investment against a hurricane. Some safety measures you can take include:
1. Have a plan. A lot of damage from hurricanes can be mitigated with a proper contingency plan. An evacuation plan can even save lives.
2. Make sure the exterior of your home is safe. All large trees and shrubs should be trimmed before a major storm. If you own patio furniture, put it away or secure it to the floor.
3. Update where you can. Windows, doors, and garage doors can be upgraded to be impact-rated. In certain states, upgrading your safety measures could lower your insurance premium.
4. Place cars in safe areas. Make sure any parking areas are located on high ground and away from tall trees and shrubs.
5. Plan for electricity going out. Having an emergency power source and a proper surge protector in place is good practice to avoid electrical damage to your property.
6. Safe keep important documents. Keep all important legal and insurance documents in a waterproof safety deposit box.
7. Have a shelter room. Whether you build a home or a business site, building a shelter room for any occupants could save lives.
We Can Help You Find The Harlingen Property That Meets Your Needs.
Living in a hurricane zone can become stressful during hurricane season. However, these areas are also the most profitable and beautiful in the country.
If you’re thinking about buying in a hurricane zone, we got the land you’re looking for! At SRC Land, we can help you find and buy your land in one easy and smooth process. Our real estate specialists in Harlingen are here to offer you their experience and knowledge to help you during this new journey.